Indian Appleous 500
Indian coconut-curry chicken with chopped apples.
This recipe comes from the Looneyspoons Collection. If you enjoy low-calorie, high-flavor meals, I strongly recommend you check out Janet & Greta Podleski's wonderful cookbooks.
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2.25 pounds) – cut each in half
· 1 cup chopped onions
· 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
· 2 tsp minced garlic
· 1.5 tbsp grated gingerroot
· 1.5 tbsp curry powder
· 1.5 tbsp chili powder
· ½ tsp each of turmeric and cinnamon
· 14oz can light coconut milk
· ¼ cup mango chutney
· 2 tsp grated lemon zest
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 large golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
· ½ cup frozen green peas
· 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
1. You’ll need a large, deep, non-stick skillet with a lid for this recipe. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook until both sides are lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken and keep warm.
2. Add onions, red pepper, and garlic to the same skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add gingerroot, curry powsder, chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook and stir for 1 more minute. Add coconut milk, mango chutney, lemon zest and salt. Mix well. Stir in chicken pieces and apples. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add peas and cilantro. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes.
3. Serve hot. Tastes great on a bed of basmati rice.
Makes 6 servings